Wednesday 3 August 2016

August 2nd A campsite at Igeldo

It was dark when I left the albergue and I wasn't the first to leave.
It wasn't far to the edge of Irun and across a wetland reserve as day was breaking. I should have checked my guide book, and left the albergue and camped somewhere like this.
Then it was uphill to the Santuario de Guadalupe, church type place. There were benches overlooking the border and harbour and a water source, which made it the perfect spot for breakfast.
As I was there a steady stream of walkers came and went on, excited by their first day on the camino.
From there I took the higher alternative, which had great views, it became a really sharp ridge walk for a while.
A steep descent to the lovely Passajes de St Juan brought a ferry crossing over the river.
Then it was not far before the outskirts of classy San Sebastian, which rates alongside Barcelona and San Francisco for me.
A bit of a linger to take in the place, the on to find a campsite.
On the outskirts I met up with Brian a guy I'd spent time with the night before.
He decided he would come to camp as well.
When we reached the campsite it was 'completo'/full. I blagged a space for us though !

No comments:

Post a Comment